- Why Choose Bird Houses
- 1.Audubon Coppertop Cedar Bluebird
- 2.Nature Anywhere Window Bird Feeder
- 3.Best Nest-Purple-Martin-House-Package
- 4.CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Birdhouse
- 6.Melissa & Doug Build Your Own Wooden Birdhouse
- 7.Heath Outdoor Products Easy Clean Deluxe
- 8.Perky-Pet 50301 Wren Home
- 9.Toysmith Build A BirdHouse Building Kit
- How To Choose Bird Houses
- How To Use Bird Houses
- Final Thoughts
Why Choose Bird Houses
Bird watching is aesthetic and relaxing. Waking up to the soothing humming of Hummingbirds is heavenly. Having birds in your own backyard can transport you to natures unknown. Birds act as natural bugs control as they feed on all kinds of bugs. If you like gardening, Hummingbirds are great pollinators as they feed on nectar from varieties of backyard flowers. Birds build their own natural nests with concise creativity. Weaver birds are fast weavers, their craftiness is mindblowing, but these natural nests fall off over time, are blown away by the wind while rains soak them wet. Building birdhouses in your backyard will ensure that you have a natural habitat within reach and safety of the birds. There are varieties of beautiful pre-made birdhouses you can buy online or at your local shops. You can also unleash the creative you and build some yourself. There is no limitation of how creative you would want to go in beautifying your backyard. Below are options you can choose to buy or build.
1.Audubon Coppertop Cedar Bluebird
Beautifully crafted from Cedar, this pre-made house is bound to last long. The copper roof well-mounted ensures water does not leak through.
Bluebirds will automatically love it comes in a small size just made for them.
It has a predator guard that will essentially keep off squirrels and bigger birds.
Crafted by Woodlink and approved by North American Birdhouse Society, this 7’ by 9’ by 13’ birdhouse can be mounted on poles or natural trees up to 5ft high.
Little or no installation required as the house comes fully made, screw it on your desired pole and birds will fight for it within hours.
The inside part has a fledgling ladder that birds will love to nest on.
Your birds’ security is paramount with a predator guard carefully mounted over the entrance, leaving a space small enough for bluebirds or other smaller birds.
- Approved by the National Audubon Society.
- Easy to install and clean.
- Natural color blends well with the environment.
- Small size for smaller birds.
- It has a copper rooftop that shields birds from rains and extreme sunshine.
- Inadequately ventilated by its small size.
- It has a single front entrance.
- It has no feeder; leaves the birds to fend for themselves.
2.Nature Anywhere Window Bird Feeder
Fancy having birds outside your bedroom window? Nature Anywhere Window Bird Feeder is your dream come true option.
As the name suggests, this birdhouse gives you the option of placing it anywhere and everywhere.
Made of 4mm thick see-through polycarbonate glass that gives you a lifetime guarantee.
Four high suction cups are carefully placed at the back. They allow you to stick the feeder on smooth surfaces like your window.
Place it 4ft high off branches and squirrels or cats won’t reach it.
Feeding times have never been made this easy, it comes with an easy to clean double divided sliding tray at the bottom. Place different colored seeds and birds will flock.
Easy to use and no installation is required. A great house for children to use with minimal supervision.
- Durable and movable. It can be mounted anywhere.
- Gives a 360-degree unobstructed view.
- Comes with an easy to use and clean double feeder.
- Rounded small entrance made only for birds.
- You may have to smoothen tree surfaces if you want it outside.
Fancy having Martins flocking around your backyard? Best Nest-Purple-Martin-House-Package is your answer.
This beautifully designed mini-mansion has two levels and 16 rooms, that’s right, 16 rooms all for your birds.
Built to look like a barn with fitted bird decoys is a sure way to attract Martins within hours of installation.
The package includes a strong and durable telescoping style pole that should run through the house for support, a DIY booklet, and decoys to attract birds.
The house comes fully made and pole assembling is not rocket science. Just dig a hole big enough for the pole, put it inside the hole, cover the sides with the dug-out soil, and test its sturdiness.
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- It comes with a DIY booklet that is easy to understand.
- Beautifully designed to decorate your backyard.
- The package includes decoys to attract birds.
- It is made from plastic and not natural wood that birds love.
4.CARTMAN Colored Country Cottages Birdhouse
The most eye-catching Country Cottage-like birdhouse in the market.
This beautifully colored house is made from natural wood and metal is sure to last an eternity.
This decorative is so beautiful with a cutout, logs below the steps, a flower by the window, and a vase at the corner. It will liven your backyard or garden.
The package comes fully made and can be hanged or nailed on a pole.
The metal cover will shield your wood from rotting for a long time.
- Beautiful and colored.
- Easy to assemble.
- A perfect gift for bird watchers.
- It has a sliding door for easy cleaning
- The size is too small for birds. It looks more of a garden decorative than a birdhouse.
- Not suitable for rainy environments as the wood would quickly rot away.
Are you looking for a perfect gift for an upcoming teen bird-watcher? Here is a solution for you.
Window-Nesting-Box is meant to be stuck on your window for that ‘bird-eye view’.
A beautifully crafted house made from wood and a mirrored cover that allows you to watch birds yet they cannot see you.
Four suction cups are placed at the top and bottom sides of the mirror side. Such that the birds face towards your house for the perfect view.
The package comes pre-made for easy installation.
- It requires no assembling.
- Lovely decor for your window.
- It is made from natural pine wood.
- It can only be placed on a window.
- Not a perfect choice for nesting as it cannot hold lots of weight.
6.Melissa & Doug Build Your Own Wooden Birdhouse
Let us unleash the artistic you. This kit permits you to create your own birdhouse. -It is additionally an excellent instructive tool for youths beneath strict adult supervision.
Children will completely love lending a hand in building the shelter and ultimately taking care of them.
The package includes four pots of paint, paintbrushes, screws, and picket panels.
The picket panels are creatively crafted so you may solely have to be compelled to screw them along and paint your required color.
- Inspiring: children will love it.
- Easy to assemble and decorate.
- Durable wooden material.
- A fun activity for a family.
- Not recommended for children below 3 years because of small parts.
7.Heath Outdoor Products Easy Clean Deluxe
This 1600 century themed gourd birdhouse is made from white plastic.
The white color reflects light keeping your birds cool.
The handle-top is holed for easy hanging on any spot.
It withstands all kinds of weather and it is durable.
It requires no assembling.
- A unique design from the previously mentioned birdhouses.
- An easy to install kit by just hanging.
- A perfect gift for country folks.
- White color that resists heat keeping birds cool.
- You will have to cash out more money for poles as they are not included in the package.
- The mold gourds were not appealing.
8.Perky-Pet 50301 Wren Home
Do you fancy going Dutch? Here’s one birdhouse that you will appreciate.
Perky-Pet 50301 Wren Home is perfectly made of pure fir meaning it is weather resistant plus insect repelling and is designed cutely in a renowned Dutch style roof which comes along with a hanging rope to make sure your birdhouse is dangling.
Perky’s construction guarantees you endless bird watching leisure, thanks to its safe timber which will keep your bird in good condition.
- Dutch-style roof.
- Home is made of the best lumber that is fir.
- Equipped with a rope for hanging.
- Weather-resistant and insect repelling.
- The lid does not fit in nicely.
- Crafted with only one opening and it is dark inside.
9.Toysmith Build A BirdHouse Building Kit
Are you a serious painter and just embrace the art of painting or do you have an upcoming kid/teenager who loves painting? You should really check Toysmith out.
Toysmith kit comes with all the vital parts needed to build a classic wooden birdhouse together with painting accessories.
- Equipped with paint accessories to help the artistic nature in you or your kids flourish by designing it yourselves.
- Packed with all necessary building equipment.
- Fixed with a manual.
- Kids friendly ranging from the age of five and above.
- Too small for any bird.
- Wood breaks easily when nails are driven in by a hammer, whether small or large.
How To Choose Bird Houses
Materials: Between metals and wood for a birdhouse, I would suggest a pick on wood since birds love nature and wood is the best resort. Wood will give your birds a natural nesting feel.
Location: When mounting birdhouses you should be more sensitive to its security. Though it is fancy to mount them on a tree branch, you should be cautious of any predator and their easy access to the birds making their life more endangered. Instead, they should be mounted on a firm pole or post to make it harder for predators like cats or even rodents to reach them. Birdhouses should be at least five feet tall to make it hard for cats to jump and reach them. Since a bird’s life is always outdoor, when mounting a birdhouse, it should be in an open area where light from the sun can easily reach them.
Entrance position: You also need to apply geography, Face the entrance of the house away from prevailing winds for maximum protection of young birds. It should be spacious enough for your birds.
Pick a proper house design: Birdhouses need to have enough ventilation and should have drainage holes at the bottom since they are living things and need air, luxury among other things just like we do.
Height: You need to hand your birdhouse at the right height depending on the bird’s species you prefer to house as your tenant.
Use a nice and fitting house: Choose a house that perfectly fits the bird you are planning to keep. Some houses are designed to house smaller birds like the Martins while you are planning to keep bigger species like a parrot for instance.
How To Use Bird Houses
Just like every human being out there, birds need proper tender care. It all starts with the house it resides in. Since you decided to lend birds a hand in building a nest for them, you should also be their janitor in case they forget to do some housekeeping. The nesting house you crafted ought to have a clean-out door. Once you are sure that your tenants have gone out to relax and explore nature, remove their old twigs or nesting materials, replace them with new ones just like how a hotel housekeeping does right? This exercise helps reduce the infestation of bird lice and mites. Don’t forget, be non-intrusive as you can.
Always have a nesting box that is bigger and can accommodate more than one bird. This makes it easier for other birds to come and pay you a visit. Put it in mind that you are trying to get the bird to stay home and not to vanish forever.
Most importantly, its security is what you should consider. Try keeping your bird and its small family(if it has laid eggs) away from any danger. That includes away from your adorable cat which might turn out to be a bully instead of a guard-we all know the pesky habits of a cat, always curious.
If you are a fun-loving family person Melissa & Doug Build Your Own Wooden Birdhouse is your ultimate choice.
Take time to know the birds around you. They will inspire you to make the right decision and have a fun bird-watching day in your own backyard.