- Reasons to choose the best coolers for camping
- 1. ORCA TP0580RCORCA Cooler, Tan, 58-Quart, TP058ORC
- 2. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
- 3. Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler
- 4. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
- 5. Canyon Coolers Series 55-qt. SANDSTONE
- 6. The YETI Backpack Cooler
- 7. YETI Tundra 35 Cooler Review
- 8. Igloo Ice Cube Roller Cooler with wheels
- Choosing the best coolers for your camping expeditions
Reasons to choose the best coolers for camping
Camping with family and friends without a cooler just doesn’t feel the same. I mean what else is there to be optimistic about if not the contents in the cooler and a view of the destination.
The absence of a camping cooler could turn out to be a regrettable mistake that could have been avoided in the first place.
Selecting the ideal camping cooler requires a clear understanding of its usage and location. Do you make food preparation for three or fifteen? These are some questions that need answers before selecting a certain cooler.
There are coolers designed with more advanced features such as auxiliary batteries for powering mobile phones or wireless speakers for music.
Here is a list of some of the best camping coolers:
1. ORCA TP0580RCORCA Cooler, Tan, 58-Quart, TP058ORC
The stylish design of the Orca cooler has been carefully developed by thoughtful manufacturers who understand the basic features desired by many campers.
One of these is the quick, seamless draining system as well as its mobility due to the flex-grip handles that allows one or multiple handling without any form of distress.
For extra storage, a cargo net has been attached so users can conveniently store valuables while moving from a car to the camp destination.
More ice in the cooler? No worries, the Orca cooler while accommodating more ice does not suddenly feel heavier than it really should. In this case, the weight can be compared to the larger 65-quart camping coolers.
Though Orca’s easy mobility is an amazing feature, ice can only stay a few days, unlike other leading coolers that could extend storage beyond ten days.
Campers who intend spending just a week at their destinations have nothing to worry about, Orca has you covered, just ensure to get back for a restock after seven days.
- Rugged and ability to withstand extreme conditions, even an attack from a bear.
- Food storage in this cooler can cater to anyone stranded in the middle of nowhere.
- You may not find many with better insulation than the Orca.
- Best for one-person handling.
- Quite expensive when compared to other brands with the same model and storage capacity.
The incontrollable lid can be quite frustrating.
2. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
Are you a lover of vintage designs? Then the Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler which had its first design far back as 1954 should interest you.
This large and massive cooler could almost get run over by a tank and come out alive, the depth also allows for almost anything to fit into it with ease.
The Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler is neither a mammoth, or a compact size, but it can accommodate over 80 cans of beverage with its exterior dimensions at 14″x22″.
Key features of the Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler include:
- Over 24 hours of ice retention
- Weighs 19 pounds
- 54 Quarts capacity
- There is the 1” foam for insulation.
3. Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler
All you need is a 110V outlet and your weekend camping just got more exciting with the Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler due to its storage capabilities.
The design is quite unique, something between a college dorm room and a camping cooler. The cooler comes with convertible doors with an opening that can be switched between left or right.
You can also arrange in a horizontal form which can take the conventional look of a cooler, this is not in any way a refrigerator but it’s capable of maintaining up to 40 degrees cooler than the air temperature surrounding this “tiny fridge.”
The Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler has been engineered to self sustain itself without ice so users get 40 quarts of space and many users will find this as a major advantage.
There is also a built-in tray shelf which can act as a shelf or divider depending on what you need it to become.
The 40 quarts of space means it can accommodate over 40 cans of your favorite beverage.
You might be wondering the weight of this cooler due to the built-in cooling system motor, well this cooler weighs as much as a traditional cooler of the same capacity and size.
Are you tech-savvy? Then this could be a perfect cooler to carry along to that camp destination.
Key features of the Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler include:
- The 40 quarts capacity
- Weighs only 10 pounds
- There is the 1″ foam for insulation
- The unlimited ice retention capability.
4. Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler
This cooler definitely brings back old camping memories due to its rugged design. Carefully developed using stainless steel lid to ensure undeniable durability and easy usage.
The safety of the contents in your cooler are guaranteed due to the solid steel latch that ensures air remains tightly sealed.
There is also a leak-proof and rust-resistant drainage system that gives you full drainage to empty unwanted lukewarm water.
You never have to worry about cleaning this specially designed cooler, this means wiping dirt off the Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler cannot get easier.
- You get three full days of ice even in 100 degrees Fahrenheit, thanks to the stainless steel structure of this cooler.
- If you desire a rigid cooler that can withstand any condition, then you should try the Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler due to its stainless steel lid, screws, hinges, and handles.
- You may need to take extra precautions when packing this cooler into a car or truck as it is known to often develop a fault during this process.
- Your food may get merged to ice due to the absence of trays to create a distance between drinks, food, and the cooling ice.
5. Canyon Coolers Series 55-qt. SANDSTONE
This bear-proof cooler has impressive ice retention and with its thick build keeps your ice cold beyond a week.
The recessed latches make handling feel comfortable when loading into a truck or car.
Specially designed with top-notch polyethylene Rotomolded shell containing foams with very high density. There is also a no loss drain plug which means ice-cold air remains contained to the outfitter’s quarter thick foam that ensures tightness. This cooler has a leak-proof closure so when the ice melts, it stays in the cooler.
As earlier stated, this cooler has been certified bear-proof by the interagency known as the Grizzly Bear Committee which further explains its durability.
- No matter the condition, the tough PE RotoMolded cooler armor ensures the cooler remains in one piece.
- It can be easily transported due to the double handle design.
- Bears have nothing on this one due to the IGBC Bear Resistant Certification #3769 which guarantees food safety.
- Step into the deepest and remote terrains with confidence as this high powered cooler is capable of ice retention for up to two weeks.
- This cooler wasn’t built to serve a large group of friends due to its 55 quarts capacity.
- This is not a wheeled cooler, so you might need to fold your sleeves, get extra hands, or a wagon to carry around.
6. The YETI Backpack Cooler
This stylish backpack cooler can accommodate quite a lot of your beverage and food due to its built.
This backpack stands tall and portable, also suitable for traveling with kids as it gives parents more time to monitor the kids without constantly getting distracted thanks to the hands-free design.
YETI is a popular brand among customers so a top-quality product from such a manufacturer comes at no surprise.
You also get thick padded straps alongside a strong backplate which makes for comfortable mobility.
You’re also getting the most stylish design on the market, so it’s really a total package.
Try this quick trick; ensure the inner part of the cooler to maintain a cool temperature as this keeps the ice from melting quicker.
Additionally, you can try cleaning by wiping with a gentle soap and water mixture, apply a towel to dry, and hang on the line to ensure thorough dryness before storing this backpack cooler.
- The YETI Backpack Cooler is a perfect size.
- YETI uses food-grade material in developing the liner.
- Users also get three years warranty on this product.
- You may experience sudden challenges with the zipper.
- The YETI Backpack Cooler has a square shape and after few uses may appear different.
7. YETI Tundra 35 Cooler Review
Making payment for a YETI product is an investment in a quality product, as the difference between other top-notch products in this line such as the Pelican and Engel are minimal.
You get a premium product for an affordable price, which is something admirable as this cooler accommodates up to 20 cans of your favorite beer and over 65 quarts of space for more friends and family.
Key features of the YETI Tundra Cooler:
- This cooler accommodates up to 160 quarts of space.
- A 3″ Polyurethane insulation system.
- Weighs 25 pounds.
- Ice retention lasts up to 10 days.
8. Igloo Ice Cube Roller Cooler with wheels
Do you have an extra room to accommodate a portable cooler on wheels in your trunk? A 60 squat Igloo Ice Cube Roller Cooler medium size cooler prevents your food from getting squashed and allows easy mobility.
- This is a trusted manufacturer for all mid-range coolers.
- There’s an additional drain.
- A molded side scope that helps to handle from campsite to car or trunk.
- The lid can handle up to four cups.
- A fair price for a wheeled cooler which is uncommon among products in this range.
- For off-road travels, you should consider other options as this cooler isn’t built for these conditions.
- This cooler was not built to hold bodies, so handle with care.
Choosing the best coolers for your camping expeditions
You need to choose the best coolers that ensure your carefully stored ice remains frozen to keep your beverages frozen throughout the camp session.
These coolers should also ensure the safety of your meals and drinks, choosing the best coolers means taking certain factors into consideration;
i) Cost: An important factor to consider when purchasing a cooler is the price, you need to buy one that goes with your budget.
It is therefore imperative to create a budget prior to purchase, this helps you manage your finance.
Take some time to conduct in-depth research into some of the best prices in the market, this could take a while but would be worth your time.
Also, while trying to be penny-wise, ensure not to opt for a cooler that is too cheap, that is less expensive does not always equate to good quality.
The criteria for purchasing a camping cooler should entail what you desire from a cooler and not necessarily what is trendy.
If you feel you only need something to store your meals and nothing extra, then you may not need to splash the cash. Go for the budget-friendly coolers that can handle the basics.
For those who intend camping in remote areas with extreme weather conditions, you might want to check out this list before making a decision.