For those who engage in hiking, weightlifting, runningand walking frequently, you can agree that a pain in the knee could be quite frustrating.
Over the years, there have been multiple remedies such as knee-support products as well as a visit to a specialist can help reduce the pain.
You may be wondering what a knee brace is? Well, this is a medical device designed to help reduce pains in the knee that may arise from meniscus injuries, arthritis, and other musculoskeletal issues.
This device applies differently to help reduce the pain, some of which are offloading, direct compression, as well as alignment of the skeleton.
Choosing the right knee brace could be just what your knee requires to ease the pain.
- 1. Bracoo Knee Support Open-Patella Brace
- 2. PowerLix Compression Sleeve
- 3. McDavid 422 Knee Brace with Dual Disk Hinges
- 4. DonJoy Performance Bionic Knee Brace
- 5. Mueller HG80 Hinged Knee Brace
- 6. Shock Doctor 875 Hinged Knee Brace
- 7. IPOW’s 2-Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer
- 8. Nordic Lifting’s Knee Sleeves
- Choosing the best knee brace
1. Bracoo Knee Support Open-Patella Brace
For anyone interested in total knee support without paying extra for hinges, then you may want to consider this budget-friendly option.
This knee brace offers users enough compression both above and below the knee without cutting off circulation and enduring a feeling of restriction.
For easy adjustments, this model is equipped with wide velcro straps but often requires readjustments which could be quite frustrating.
- Cost-effective option
- Great support system both below and above the knee
- The reinforced stabilizer ring keeps your kneecap safe
- Offers a great breathable and moisture wicking
- Adjustable straps constantly require readjustments
2. PowerLix Compression Sleeve
This knee brace is ideal for those long walks as it provides a comfortable feeling and a great support system as long as the user doesn’t carry excess weight.
This knee brace features a 4-way compression system that ensures full support to your knee while enabling a total range of motion.
The soft fabric wicks sweat away from your legs.
- Great fabric that breathes and wicks perfectly
- Ideal for long walks
- The inner lining prevents any sliding or slipping
- No adjustable feature
- Too long
3. McDavid 422 Knee Brace with Dual Disk Hinges
This unit can be worn post-operation and has been designed to deliver protection against major or minor instabilities.
The slip-on knee sleeve style on this unit gives users a great support system and the brace comes with a top and bottom strap.
- Great quality
- Offers enough support
- Helps to prevent hyperextension around the knee
- Offers patella support through the padded buttress
- Not ideal for all-day wear as it ay cause numbness around the knee
- This knee sleeve brace may take longer to wear
4. DonJoy Performance Bionic Knee Brace
This is an ideal knee brace for sports activities and is specifically designed to allow an extension and free-flexing of the knee without compromising on stability.
This is an ideal gear for joint instability, damage to the knee, and ligament injuries. The adjustable straps on this model mean users can take it off at any time with ease.
- Great sport gear
- Comes with a pocket for storing small items
- Easy to put on
- Has adjustable straps
5. Mueller HG80 Hinged Knee Brace
This popular knee brace is different from most of the models on this list and rather than using an open patella, the designers employed a closed patella.
This airy knee brace is very comfortable and to get the best of this unit, you need to purchase the right size.
- Breathable fabric
- Ideal sport gear
- Comes with a year warranty
6. Shock Doctor 875 Hinged Knee Brace
This is an ideal knee brace for anyone currently recovering from a painful knee injury or those often experience pain while walking downhill.
For extra support, the hinges as well as the side stabilizing together with the rest of the sleeve deliver an amazing support system.
Regular knee braces do not prevent hyperextension of the knee and this model executes this effortlessly. Even warmer weather conditions, the open patella design and breathable fabric on this model can withstand such hot climate.
There is a presence of antimicrobial treatment on the fabric to prevent odors. Ensure to get your accurate size by sizing up your knee before making a purchase.
This model often feels tighter than normal on the first day or two, so no need to panic.
- Anti-odor treatment
- For a better support system, there are dual hinges as well as side stabilizers on this unit
- High-quality materials and build
- Hinge stops on this unit prevents knee hyperextension
- Breathable and moisture-wicking feature
- Getting the right size could be challenging.
7. IPOW’s 2-Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer
This is an ideal and cost-effective option for anyone suffering from patella tracking disorder and other similar kneecap-related issues as this knee brace has been designed to cater for this region.
- There is a targeted support system that reinforces the patella while absorbing shocks when running or jumping
- This knee brace doesn’t cover much skin so this makes it an ideal gear for those with sensitive skin
- Great value for money, users get two braces in a pack
- You get twelve months satisfaction guarantee, there is a refund policy put in place
- Users enjoy multiple color options; white, black, blue, and pink
- Easy to wear and remove
- After a year of use, the velcro straps tend to wear out.
8. Nordic Lifting’s Knee Sleeves
Bodybuilders who engage in weightlifting have special needs for knee support and this has seen an introduction of the Nordic Lifting’s Knee Sleeves to help compress and reinforce that region.
- Durable build
- Helps to keep the muscles healthy and prevents any form of injury
- Ideal for both men and women
- Users get a 30-day satisfaction guarantee as well as 1-year warranty, there is a return policy put in place
- Users can choose three style options; black, camo, or pink.
- Amazing customer support system even on Sunday
- This knee brace wears out quickly so it’s been recommended by the manufacturer that you hand wash this gear to prevent such from occurring.
Choosing the best knee brace
There are several factors to consider before purchasing a hinged knee brace.
The higher the price tag, the more likely you may get a durable, stable, and overall high-quality product in the market.
For anyone serious about protecting their knee, then this should deter you from getting the right product.
Ensure to purchase a hinged knee brace that uses breathable materials to provide some ventilation as most models out there are prone to leaving an uncomfortable feeling when worn.
Easy to wear
Get knee braces with adjustable straps as these kinds are easier to wear, you only need to place the hinged brace over the knee cap before fastening the strap to remain in one position.
Other hinged knee braces come in the form of sleeves that must be worn by placing the foot through before sliding up the shins and over the knees.
Open or closed patella
Knee braces often come with an open or closed patella support system and a hinged knee brace that has an open patella that gives the kneecap some space and free of pressure while a closed support system puts pressure on the patella.
Ensure to pay attention to the instructions as rules of measurement vary across manufacturers.
To get the needed support and comfort from your knee brace, ensure to get the right size for your knee, this could be quite frustrating but it’s necessary.
The braces above help to reduce pain and difficulties common around the knee and are ideal for athletes.
Some patients have avoided surgeries by using knee braces which have proven to improve activity levels around the knee.