- Why use an orbital sander for furniture
- 1. BLACK + DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
- 2.DEWALT DWE6423K Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander
- 3.Makita O5041 3-Amp 4000-12000 OPM D-Handle Random Orit Sander
- 4 .Tacklife 5-inch Random Orbit Sander
- 5 .Bosch Random Orbit 5 inch Sander/Polisher ROS20SC
- 6.PORTER-CALBE 382 5-inch Random Orbit Sander
- 7. SKIL 7942-02 2.8 Amp 5-inch Random Orbit Sander With Pressure Control
- 8.Bosch 6.5 Amp Corded 6 in. Variable Speed Dual –Mode Electronic Random Orbital Sander/Polisher
- How to Choose an Orbital Sander
- How to Use an Orbital Sander
- Final words
Why use an orbital sander for furniture
Sanding furniture is a fairly delicate task, compared to other types of sanding and the perfect device for the job is an orbital sander. This is because the best orbital sanders for furniture are lightweight and operable with a single hand so you don’t damage the furniture. They are also relatively quiet and less of a hassle than using other types of sanders.
So if you’re a DIYer, then take a look at this list of the best orbital sanders for your furniture:
1. BLACK + DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
Rated as one of the best orbital sanders for furniture, this machine gives a quick removal rate for any job resulting in a speedy job well done. A compact and ergonomic build measuring 7 x 5 x 6 inches allows you to perform a close-up, more personal job with each use.
Black + Decker BDERO100 works with 120 volts for a powerful performance. Your purchase is supported by a two-year warranty for repairs and returns. There is also a dust collection and catcher pre-installed inside the machine to keep it from damaging and rusting over. It successfully cleans any dirty stains and removes markings inside of the wood.
The DERO100 uses a loop and hook system to replace your sandpaper after long periods of use.
- Small robust body with an ergonomic handle
- Loop and hook system replacement
- May stop working after a few months
2.DEWALT DWE6423K Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander
With a heavy-duty 3.0 Amp motor, another one of the best orbital sanders for furniture, this machine can spin up to 12,000 OPM, making for a clean-cut presentation in the final result. This orbital sander is short and small so that users can be up close with their projects ensuring everything has a fine-tuned touch when it comes out. This model is shock-resistant, so there is more control over the vibrations running through the system.
Dewalt gives dust protection while being used for longer-lasting peak performance during its life. A one-handed locking dust bag is located at the back of the machine to clear out your workspace while smoothening your piece.
It is relatively more substantial in size, measuring 10.4 x 7.2 x 6.2 inches, yet with its size comes to its heavy-duty power package allowing it to sand lightly over metal compounds.
- Powerful heavy duty machine
- Shock resistant
- 3 year warranty
- Some complaints towards the outlet not fitting correctly
3.Makita O5041 3-Amp 4000-12000 OPM D-Handle Random Orit Sander
A finish, unlike any other, the Makika also makes it on the list of the best orbital sanders for furniture. It can deliver a clean, polished result quickly and hassle-free with its 3 Amp motor and variable controlled speeds ranging from 4000 to 12000 OPM. Each job can have a more personal touch than the last with its adjustable handle.
It is user friendly with an ergonomic rubber coated palm rip handle or greater comfort and shock resistance while in use. This sander operates with a 5-inch hook and loop system for replacing sandpaper.
This model delivers cleaner jobs than others that leave gouges and dents due to aggressive use. With a carefully constructed padded shearing system, the Makita makes each piece smoother than the last, and all finely rubbed down without the hassle of having gouges to clear out by hand.
- Adjustable handle
- Padded orbital sander
- Ergonomic handle
- Pad is not sturdy and doesn’t hold
4 .Tacklife 5-inch Random Orbit Sander
Tacklife makes a statement when it comes to the convenience of its users. With six adjustable modes to work your way through the 13000 OPM 3 Amp motor, each piece can be handled based on the sturdiness and material of the object. On purchase, you get 12 pieces of sandpaper for your sander, giving you enough replacements for each use and a sample to use when buying more.
With a high-performance dust collection system, your workplace will remain clean as you work and your final piece smooth to the touch. It has a well-created ergonomic design that allows you to access hard to get areas more comfortable while sanding.
Compared to other options, the Tacklife has a quieter performance and a much-reduced vibration rate.
- Quieter, quicker job with less vibration irritation
- Ergonomic design for close up work with piece
- Pre-installed cooling system for longer work periods
- Unsteady dust collecting design
5 .Bosch Random Orbit 5 inch Sander/Polisher ROS20SC
Another one of the best orbital sanders for furniture, with this sander, you can adjust the speed on the 2.5 Amp motor for delicate or hardy work. It collects dust hastily, so the area stays clean and dust-free. With dynamic control over the vibrations made, you can comfortably work for more extended periods on this sander and adjust your grip easily over the soft grip top.
Bosch happily claims their machine to be lighter than the competition, so storing, carrying, and using this machine becomes less of a burden on you.
With a provided backing pad, you can eliminate the swirled marked finish on any wood or metal you sand over. Get a clean result on both flat and curved surfaces with each work of craftsmanship. This sander is relatively small, perfect for light and heavy jobs alike with a total measurement of 9 x 5 x 6 inches, weighing only 3.5 pounds.
- Lightweight and small, easy to grip
- No lasting swirl markings after work
- Leaks sawdust
6.PORTER-CALBE 382 5-inch Random Orbit Sander
Porter-Cable has made a simplistic sander to make each job a little easier. It has a steadily controlled system that ensures the start-up doesn’t start you up with gouges and dents in your project. With a dust-sealed switch, there is limited to no dust consumption during use allowing the sander to work longer shifts and last a lengthier lifespan.
Measuring 8 x 9 x 7 inches, it is a decently sized sander that can be used for larger projects as well as smaller quicker projects. It weighs a hardy 3.6 pounds, which makes it light enough to transport for its size.
- Easy going start-up gouges free
- Better balanced body for easier handling
- 3-year warranty and 90-day money-back guarantee
- 9 Amp motor doesn’t provide enough power
7. SKIL 7942-02 2.8 Amp 5-inch Random Orbit Sander With Pressure Control
With the enhanced feature of pressure control, you can be warned before making a mess if you are applying to much pressure to the sander. This keeps you from creating long-lasting gouges or dents inside of your woodwork. It also has a pad rake, which minimizes the chances of any gouges while you work.
It has microfiltration to clean and clear out your workspace for a healthier job with smoother results. The sander also comes with a dust seal switch to prevent any dust from collecting inside of your machine.
The sander has a light indicator system that elevated the quality pressure warning installed in the machine. It is larger and better to use when working on larger projects that require more heavy-duty work.
- Pressure alarm
- Micro filtration
- Pad rake to minimize gouges
- Filter is loose
8.Bosch 6.5 Amp Corded 6 in. Variable Speed Dual –Mode Electronic Random Orbital Sander/Polisher
Bosch makes way to the list of the best orbital sanders for the furniture once more with a different model and some classy advancements. The power motor can reach up to 6.5 Amp or a more thorough and certified job done at the end of the day. It lasts longer as jobs get done quicker and more efficiently.
With a slow controlled start-up, the soft-start prevents gouges or dents from occurring, and variable speeds increase your gentle touch on each project. It comes with two modes being a random orbital movement, and turbo driven orbit or a faster, hardier rate gives times quicker and harsher than the typical sanding mode.
It has two handles to increase the control you have over your sander while you work. The only downfall to this sander is that it is relatively more significant than most models.
- Two handles for control
- Two modes to use when working
- One year unconditional warranty
- Particularly large sander not good for transport and small jobs
How to Choose an Orbital Sander
The best orbital sanders, despite the ease of use, will boast certain features. For instance, things to look out for include variable speed controls, sealed switches, and balance, to name a few. But what does all this mean? Here’s a quick look:
- Variable speeds: This refers to the different speeds at which the machine will work. Since sanding furniture is differentfromsanding mere planks and blocks of wood, you need a unit that gives you the options to adjust speeds, especially when working with delicate materials. Lower speeds will deliver lower heat during sanding, which is safer for more fragile pieces.
- Sealed switch: Sandinginvolves dust being blown all over, and a machine that comes with a sealed switch will stop the dust particles from getting into the switch area. This helps increase the performance and longevity of the sander. The same may also help prevent problems when switching the sander on and off.
- Balance: Becausefurniture will have its curves and crevices, it is essential to work with a machine that balances well. A well-balanced sander is more comfortable to run over surfaces and won’t vibrate excessively.
- Dust accumulating feature: The best orbital sanders for furniture come with dust accumulating feature which collects the powder into an attached canister. High-end models will feature cartridges that show the dust levels and have a micro-filter system for trapping any tiny particles.
- Ergonomic hand position: Because you only hold this device with one hand, look for something that gives you an ergonomic grip. The best orbital sanders will boast soft-grip handles, which allow the user to hold the sander with different hand placement options.
- Size: Before buying the best orbital sander for furniture, consider your needs as these machines come in all shapes and sizes. The bigger the engine, the more power it will deliver. But smaller models yield better precision. Also, consider your DIY skill level. Are you comfortable handling/controlling more significant devices or are looking for something more manageable.
How to Use an Orbital Sander
Before you get to use your sander, make sure to have all protective gear in place. This includes using eye protection, a dust mask, gloves, and covering any delicate zones in the work area.
The best orbital sanders for furniture come with hook and loop systems to secure the sanding disk or pad. Secure these in place and avoid overusing the sanding disk as the back can become clogged with debris and compromise the grip.
Once you turn on the sander, keep it always moving for a smoother finish. When operating the machine, make sure to maintain constant pressure without pressing too hard or not yielding enough pressure.
Too much pressure can cause an uneven surface area, but keeping the sander level will help distribute the power equally over the entire sanding pad. When you start your machine, let it spin up before touching the work surface. Likewise, when you finish, let it spin down fully before removing it from the surface.
Working with furniture requires diligence, so never leave the sander on one section of the surface. This will give you an uneven finish.
Make sure that the model of the best orbital sander for furniture that you choose comes with readily available replacement parts.
The sanding grit of an orbital sander moves in a circular motion cutting across the grain of the wood. This has the effect of leaving round sander grooves or marks on the surface. As such, you may need to finish offending with a mouse or finishing sander to move along the grain. The round marks can also be a concern if you plan on staining the surface as the stain may sit in the groove, making it more noticeable.
With enough variety available in the market, you can choose the best orbital sander for furniture based on your personal preference, budget limitations, and experience with such devices. Whichever model you want, it will make your job of sanding furniture easier, giving it a hint of expertise.