Synthetic oil also known as motor oil is often referred to as the lifeblood of an engine and without it, getting to your destination seems almost impossible.
This oil keeps your engine at an optimal level by cleaning, cooling, and lubricating this vital part of your vehicle.
The challenge with many car owners is choosing the best synthetic oil among the countless motor oils out there, well, look no further.
- 1. Liqui Moly 2041 – Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Oil
- 2. Castrol GTX MAGNATEC Full Synthetic Oil
- 3. Motul 8100 X-cess Oil
- 4. Pennzoil 550022689 – Platinum Full Synthetic Oil
- 5. Valvoline 782256 – MaxLife Synthetic Motor Oil
- 6. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
- 7. Royal Purple 51530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30
- 8. Mobil 1 94001 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
- Useful Tips
1. Liqui Moly 2041 – Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Oil
This German motor oil has been developed to serve both diesel and gasoline automobiles, delivering a 5W-40 viscosity in the process.
In both high and low temperatures, this motor oil delivers a reliable and high-level lubrication and cleanliness required to run both gasoline and diesel engines.
This motor oil is suited to several high-standard oil qualities, some of which include the Porsche’s A40, BMW’s Longlife-98, VAG 502/505, and Mercedes Benz’s 229.3.
- Delivers high-quality premium motor oil with superior quality to most of its counterpart in the market
- Functions effectively at both low and high temperatures
- Delivers a high level of protection against wear
- Ideal for European vehicles
- Not suitable for smaller gasoline engines
2. Castrol GTX MAGNATEC Full Synthetic Oil
This is your go-to oil to drastically reduce engine wear, this synthetic oil has been uniquely formulated using intelligent molecules that stick to the engine while driving in tough conditions and is also functional when you turn off the engine.
Around 75% of engine wear occurs while warming up, so this oil has been designed to offer protection during this process.
There are several variants to this oil including 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30, and performance is based on viscosity.
Although at the minimum level, this motor oil meets ILSAC GF-5 and API-SN guidelines while the other variants meet API SN Plus, GM dexos1 Gen 2 as well as other Ford certifications.
- Leaves vital engine parts smoother
- This oil meets certain industry standards
- There is an additional layer of protection for driving and warm-up
- Limited viscosity variants
- Quite a number of users have complained about the oil leaks fro the cap of the bottle especially when it falls to the side during storage.
3. Motul 8100 X-cess Oil
This is an ideal lubricant for different engines and vehicles, oil flows smoothly to deliver a thoroughly greased engine parts without any form of friction.
Using this oil prevents your engine from constant wear, but you may need to splash more cash on this one.
This oil is billed with a weight of SAE 5W-40 and this implies that this product is capable of operating in extreme weather conditions.
This oil comprises of various additives to deliver high lubrication and a certain degree of maintenance and ensures the parts of the engine stays functional for long hours.
Another great feature of this motor oil is the compatible nature, can work effectively with gasoline and diesel engines and meets the required standards for top automobile brands such as the Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, General Motors, Renault, Volkswagen, as well as Fiat.
- Fuel efficient
- Ideal for all weather conditions
- Great lubrication
- Compatible with a host of engines
- Amazing maintenance
4. Pennzoil 550022689 – Platinum Full Synthetic Oil
This oil has been specifically designed to clean out engine sludge using premium active cleansing agents that do a better job than most in the same category.
The brand meets certain automobile standards and delivers all-round protection for your engine.
- Offers great protection even in extreme weather conditions
- Designed to clean out engine sludge
- This engine oil meets and surpasses several automobile manufacturer’s quality requirements
- Great protection against engine wear
- Not suitable for high-performance engines
5. Valvoline 782256 – MaxLife Synthetic Motor Oil
This engine oil has been uniquely designed to cater to older engines and users get extra detergent for maximum engine cleaning action.
This oil formula cannot be applied on all engines as only cars with at least 75,000 miles can get the best out of this brand.
Users also get seal conditioners for reviving old engines seals and reduce leakages, there are also additional antioxidants and extra wear protection to prevent future engine wear fro reoccurring.
- Users get extra wear protection
- Designed for older vehicles
- You get extra detergents
- Not suitable for high-performance engines and newer engines
6. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
This motor oil is ideal for those residing in cold areas as this brand has been uniquely designed to serve users under extreme weather conditions.
The low ash technology also helps to protect the exhaust from harm and the heavy engine duty composition consists of a high-end additive that prevents harmful contaminants and deposits.
This motor oil is also compatible with some motorcycles.
- This motor oil meets emission system standards
- Ideal for modern diesel engine models thanks to the heavy-duty engine oil formula
- Fuel efficient
- Delivers advanced protection against tough weather conditions, harmful deposits as well as engine wear
- Offers motorcycle compatibility
- There could be some improvements in the container packaging
7. Royal Purple 51530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30
This is another amazing synthetic oil ideal for both diesel and gasoline engines and the optimized fuel efficiency makes this an ideal economic option.
The manufacturers have combined proprietary additive enhancers to the premium quality base oil to produce this half synthetic oil.
Users also enjoy protection against corrosion and metal-to-metal contacts as well as catalytic emission system.
This oil meets International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) standards for performance upgrade specifications as well as Dexos1 specifications for engine lubricants for General Motors’ (GM) vehicles.
- Comes with enhanced corrosion and anti-wear feature.
- Operates on both gas and diesel
- Has obtained approval from both Detoxs1 and ILSAC G-5
- Fuel efficient
- Delivers a longer emission catalyst system lifespan
- A section of users have complained of a leaking package
8. Mobil 1 94001 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
This is the official synthetic oil in the Nascar world and is characterized by high-performance which has earned it a spot in the auto world.
Users can get their engines functioning like a newly acquired item due to the anti-wear additive feature that reduces friction in all moving components located in the engine.
The engine also stays fresh by reducing varnish and sludge build-up, there is also a seal conditioner that prevents leaks.
Users also enjoy compatibility with only gas engines and controlling oil breakdown for a longer lifespan.
- This synthetic oil manages oil breakdown
- Comes in large volumes weighing as much as 192 ounces
- Removes varnish and sludge
- Comes with anti-wear additives to keep those engines sharp and fresh
- Compatible with gas engines only
There are certain factors that can help you distinguish between synthetic oils, this is crucial when choosing a brand for your vehicle.
1. Full Synthetic and Synthetic Blend Oils
Fully synthetic oils are made from synthetic materials while synthetic blend oils are mixtures of standard motor oils and synthetic oils.
For anyone upgrading from the standard oil to the synthetic oil, ensure to drain the oil before the introduction of the latter.
Check to see if it’s a newer model engine (usually fro year 2000) before proceeding.
3. Viscosity Level
This is the thickness level of the oil and since oils get thinner during intense operation, heavy-duty engines require thicker oils to function at optimal levels without any form of wear and tear.
When the oil is also too thick, this could prevent easy engine start-up so ensure to get engine oils with precise viscosity which is often present on the vehicle’s manual.
For those in hot environments that often haul heavy loads, ensure to get oils with a slightly higher viscosity, and for light errands in cold climates, get one with slightly lower viscosity.
4. Additives and Brands
The additives in this oil makes it stand out and there are several types of additives in synthetic oils while each manufacturer has its unique formula.
The corrosion inhibitors help to protect your engine from corrosion
Dispersants are needed to reduce the clumping of particles and sludge build-up
Anti-foaming agents are required to prevent oil from foaming
The conditioners help to soften seals and increase expansion and contraction
An antioxidant is necessary for prolonging the oil’s lifespan
Not all expensive oils deliver the best performance so ensure to stick to the auto manufacturer’s guideline.
Pick the right motor oil based on your mileage.
Change your filters always
Get acquainted with the oil warning lights
Check your oil level regularly
The best synthetic oils could be just what your car requires to function efficiently, so ensure to carry out the needed research to get the required oil for your automobile.